A result window displays a single set of task results within its own window. This is useful for comparing different sets of results side by side. A result window can be opened from with a task tab or task window in any of the following ways:
- Menu item Open Result in New Window (control-=).
- Select result view and choose context menu item Task Results - Open in New Window.
- Select the detach results as window button in the results navigation bar of a task view.
The result window toolbar contains a single control:
- Result format
- The result format control displays the task result in a number of different formats:
- Document. Displays the result as formatted text.
- Icon. Displays any files returned as part of the result.
- List. Displays the result in a sortable outline list.
- Script. Displays results as generated by the task script.
Selecting the document button in the result format control displays the document view.
All of the result views display the following controls:
- Result menu
- The result menu button displays the result context menu:
- Save As
- Send to - Excel. Export result text to Microsoft Excel. Opens a new Excel sheet and copies in the result text.
- Send to - Mail. Export result text to Mail. Opens a new Mail message and copies in result text.
- Send to - Pages. Export result text to Pages. Opens a new Pages document and copies in result text.
- Send to - TextEdit. Export result text to TextEdit. Opens a new file and copies in result text
- Send to - Word. Export result text to Microsoft Word. Opens a new Word document and copies in result text.
- Quick Look. In icon view provides a Quick Look preview of file contents in a popup window.
- Open in New Window. Opens a copy of the results in a new window.
- Format stepper
- The stepper buttons cycle the results through all the available display formats.
- Result size
- The result size control displays the size of the results:
- Text. The size of the textual part of the result.
- Files. The number and total size of all the files returned as part of the result.
The document view also displays the following control:
- Document format
- The document format popup control enables the result text to be displayed in a number of formats:
- Text. Displays the result as rich text.
- Plist. Displays the result as a Property List.
- XML. Displays the result as simple XML.
- YAML. Displays the result as YAML.
Selecting the icon button in the result format control displays the icon view.
Icon view will display an icon for each file received as part of the task result. Many file types, including most image formats, will be represented by a thumbnail preview of the file contents. The icon view displays the following controls:
- Preview file
- Opens a popup panel containing a full preview of the file's contents. If a full preview is not available then the file's details will be displayed.
- Icon size
- The slider sets the size of the file preview within the view.
List view displays the result as a sortable outline. The image below shows the result list view as it appears in a task window.
Tasks may produce complex results containing a hierarchy of other objects and results that can be browsed using the list view. The Name and Value columns can be sorted by clicking on the column headers. Simple text based results will display within the list view as a single truncated item.
Script view displays the result exactly as it is generated by the task script. The image below shows the result script view as it appears in a task window.
Script view is generally of use when developing AppleScript based tasks.