Managing and Sharing Tasks
To manage and administer tasks select the Admin task view. The following management options are available in the Admin task view:
- Share a task
- Unshare a task
- Create a new task
- Edit, build and test a task
- Duplicate a task
- Delete a task
- Manage task groups
- Assign task ratings
- Assign task labels
Shared instances of KosmicTask can also be fully administered by users who are able to authenticate using a valid OS X username and password.
There are two types of tasks, Application Tasks and User Tasks. The task type icon precedes the task name in the task browser.
- Applications Tasks
- Application tasks are installed along with the application and are intended to serve as reference examples. Application tasks are updated along with the application and for this reason they cannot be directly edited by the user or deleted. If you want to extend or modify an application task simply duplicate it. The duplicate will be an editable user task. The user can however share and unshare application tasks as required.
- User Tasks
- User Tasks are those that have been created by the user. They can be shared, edited, modified and deleted as required.
When the Admin task view is selected the Task Browser displays a checkbox beside each task indicating the task's sharing status. A shared task will be marked by a ticked checkbox, an unshared task by an empty checkbox. To share a task and make it publicly accessible to all other KosmicTask users check the box. To unshare the task and prevent access to all but authenticated users clear the checkbox.
Groups of tasks may also be shared or unshared as a whole. In order to do this ensure that the task group list is visible in the Task Browser (this can be toggled on and off using the button in the Task Browser navigation bar. To share a group of tasks select the checkbox beside the group name in the group list. To unshare a group of tasks clear the checkbox. Task groups that contain at least one shared task and one unshared task will display a mixed mode checkbox symbol (a hypen).
Saving Admin Task View Changes
Changes made to the task list in Admin mode are only saved when Admin mode is exited by selecting either Public or User mode. This behaviour enables a number of configuration changes to be combined into a single operation. When this occurs the user is prompted to either save or discard the accumulated changes. Only the following configuration changes are combined in this way, all other changes are applied immediately:
- Share or unshare a task
- Delete a task
The fundamental task configuration operations are Create, Edit, Duplicate and Delete.
- Create a new empty task. Select New from the tool bar or menu item File - New (command-N). A task edit window will open containing the newly created task.
- Edit an existing task. Select Edit from the tool bar or menu item File - Edit... (command-E). A task edit window will open containing the selected task. A task duplication prompt sheet will be displayed if an application task is selected for editing.
- Duplicate an existing task. Select Duplicate from the tool bar or menu item File - Duplicate (command-D). A task edit window will open containing an editable copy of the selected task. Each task requires a name but there is no requirement that this name be unique. When a task is duplicated an identifying tag is appended to the task name. The duplicated task name can be modified as required.
- Delete a Task. Select Delete from the tool bar or menu item File - Duplicate (command-delete).
Task Groups, Ratings and Labels
Tasks may be assigned to groups for easy management and browsing. A task's group can be set from within a task edit window. To assign or modify the icon associated with a group ensure that the task group list is visible in the Task Browser (this can be toggled on and off using the button in the Task Browser navigation bar). In the group list right click on the group name and select Group Icon... from the context menu.
Tasks may be rated and labelled to assist with classification and identification. Right click in the task browser to display the task context menu.
- Set a rating value from none to 5 stars.
- Set a finder style coloured label.